<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Obsolete 

Every once in a while, I find an online quiz that makes me laugh out loud. Today, What obsolete skill are you? at Quizilla did the trick.

I am admittedly fond of things that are obsolete, anachronistic, or at least unusual in our modern urban world. I make my own music. One type of dancing that I do is mentioned in Shakespeare's writing. I do a lot of canning, and have been planning to plant our yard in edible plants. Perhaps you do one or all of these things as well; I'm just saying that we're not in the majority around here.

I know many people who have unusual - perhaps even obsolete - talents and skills; that is part of what makes them interesting. Do you have any anachronistic pastimes? And, if you're willing to share, what obsolete skill are you?

Oh, and what obsolete skill am I?
Where DID that image of  Calliope, Muse of epic poetry go?You are 'Latin'. Even among obsolete skills, the tongue of the ancient Romans is a real anachronism. With its profusion of different cases and conjugations, Latin is more than a language; it is a whole different way of thinking about things.
You are very classy, meaning that you value the classics. You value old things, good things which have stood the test of time. You value things which have been proven worthy and valuable, even if no one else these days sees them that way. Your life is touched by a certain 'pietas', or piety; perhaps you are even a Stoic. Nonetheless, you have a certain fascination with the grotesque and the profane. Also, the modern world rejects you like a bad transplant.
Your problem is that Latin has been obsolete for a long time.


Indeed. Ah, would that that were my only problem...