<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Today I am a child 


I grew up in a part of Texas where snow was a once-a-decade event. Four years in New England did not cure me of my love of and fascination with snow... and it has been 20 years since I last lived there.

When I woke up early this morning, it was snowing. I was instantly wide awake. Awake like a child on Christmas morning, full of excitement and expectation. I have already been out once, in pajamas, gardening clogs and coat, to take this photograph of our house before our photocell-controlled electric "candles" shut off.

From my office, I hear children laughing. Across the street, our neighbors are building a snowman. With only the two lower parts of its body in place, it is already five feet tall. (This is good, heavy, packable snow!) I can't wait to see it finished.